Title: COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER
Office Location: Raleigh, North Carolina
Reports to: Chief of Staff
How you’ll help us (overview & key responsibilities)
The Communications Manager for the North Carolina Railroad Company should focus on pro-active, strategic communications that help to create an identity for the Company and improve public awareness and understanding of NCRR. They will work closely with the Company’s Leadership Team and public relations consultants to develop and implement a communications strategy that is consistent with and promotes the Company’s mission, vision, values, and goals.
What you need to succeed (minimum qualifications)
A Bachelor’s degree in Communications/Journalism or related field is required. Proven creative social and traditional media planning is a plus. Minimum of five years of media relations/corporate communications or journalism experience required, including day-to-day relationships with executives and news media. Candidates must possess a strategic mindset and the ability to grasp the multifaceted issues surrounding the value proposition that the NCRR delivers. Candidates must be well-spoken with excellent communication skills, both oral and written. They must have the ability to decipher complex issues and relate the key points to the various audiences on their terms. They must have the ability to communicate effectively with all levels of management and employee groups. A working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook is essential. Must have a high degree of initiative and the ability to manage multiple high-priority projects and tasks, work under pressure and meet deadlines as required independently or within a team. Must be flexible in dealing with changing priorities.
What will give you a competitive edge (preferred qualifications)
Experience in the transportation industry is a plus, but not a requirement. Experience integrating paid, earned, shared, and owned (PESO) media is preferred. Graphic design knowledge and skills would be a plus.
- Manage a communications strategy that is supportive of strategic investments
- Recommend communications best practices and develop & maintain necessary messaging consistent with strategic plan
- Manage external public affairs resources/firms to ensure appropriate message development and timely delivery of content or other products in furthering communications strategy
- Support the Leadership Team as they develop and maintain relationships with external partners and officials to effectively channel the goals and strategic plan of the company
- Advise and assist all staff members & departments with communications needs, including preparation of talking points and presentation and/or materials development support
- Develop and maintain the company’s corporate image and identity, which includes a re-design (with vendor support) of the company logo
- Develop, maintain, and implement when necessary, crisis communication plans
- Serve as primary point of contact for all media inquiries and consult with appropriate senior staff or Board Chairman on responses consistent with company policy
- Recommend and implement new policies and procedures for media and other communications consistent with company goals and strategic plan
- Manage media outreach and response strategies including coordinating and drafting press releases, interviews and statements
- Collaborate with external partners as appropriate to coordinate media events and messaging
Marketing & Outreach
- Collaborate with NCRR team members to identify marketing needs including sponsorships and ad placement and prepare an annual budget accordingly
- Develop and produce, with assistance from outside vendors, the Company’s Annual Report
- Prepare materials for legislative or other government reports and presentations as requested or recommended. Work with government relations representatives, President & CEO, and Chief of Staff to ensure effectiveness and close coordination on legislative issues
- Ensure that all marketing messages are consistent with NCRR mission, vision, and values
- In conjunction with the Chief of Staff, coordinate community relations, special events, and marketing materials
Website & Social Media
- Maintain company website content, electronic media, and other outlets, including arranging for and overseeing third-party vendors as needed
- Manage company social media accounts and develop a mission & vision-driven content strategy with a focus on building audience engagement
Reporting & Accountability
- Develop and maintain the communications budget for each year
- Establish and monitor performance measurements of effectiveness of external communications and message development & delivery, including the development of an annual Partner Survey in coordination with the Chief of Staff
- Evaluate performance of outsourced functions periodically and make related appropriate recommendations, including budget
- Prepare bi-monthly Partner & Shareholder update reports for the Communications & Economic Development Committee of the Board of Directors, including a report on web analytics, social media and media coverage
- Attend weekly status meetings with the Chief of Staff and provide written progress reports, as needed, including communications budget information and related recommendations
- Attend weekly meetings with the Leadership Team to provide any significant communications updates and to gather information from the team regarding activities that may require media monitoring or other communications support
- Active Listening – Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Writing – Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Speaking – Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking – Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Learning – Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Social Perceptiveness – Being aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Persuasion – Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
- Negotiation – Bringing others together and trying to reconcile differences.
- Complex Problem Solving – Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Judgment and Decision Making – Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Administration and Management – Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Sales and Marketing – Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Communications and Media – Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
If you qualify for our Communications Manager position, please APPLY HERE