ACCOUNTING & FINANCE INTERN
Under the general supervision of the Controller, the purpose of the Account & Finance Intern role is to provide an opportunity for students planning to begin a career in finance. University students will gain practical experience in financial analysis and accounting. Performs activities related to his/her field of study while obtaining experience working in a corporate environment.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with the accounting team to get a sense of their duties and responsibilities in an effort to gain knowledge of day-to-day processes, procedures, etc.
- May assume the duties normally performed in the department, alongside professionals who perform these roles, including but not limited to; accounts payables, accounts receivables, perform account reconciliations, etc.
- Performs financial analytical work.
- Supports and plans work on small projects with direction from management.
- Works with various departments and/or vendors to gather information needed for various projects.
- Creates or updates systems or databases for specific department needs.
- May work closely with senior team members to complete various, financial, administrative, and other reports and analysis as assigned or as necessary.
- May work on special projects that require building relationships and partnering with other groups to reach goals.
- May create documentation outlining processes, procedures, programs, testing/review results, etc.
- May complete certain clerical/administrative duties.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer-centered service skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to plan and manage work under time constraints, with limited direct supervision.
- Ability to analyze, review, and make recommendations.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite with demonstrated expertise in Microsoft Excel or similar software.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Two (2) years of education at an accredited college, university, or technical school (must be currently enrolled) working towards a bachelor’s degree majoring in accounting and/or finance.
- This work is predominantly conducted in an office setting.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
Other duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and other activities may change at any time with or without notice.
North Carolina Railroad Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, sex (including pregnancy and sexual orientation), gender (including gender identity and status as a transgender individual), marital status and veteran status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws and ordinances.